For our franchisee clients we can:
- conduct a thorough review of the franchisor’s documentation;
- explain the key terms in plain English;
- alert you to any peculiar or unfair provisions that appear out of the ordinary;
- provide independent solicitors certificates;
- act in mediations, negotiations and disputes with the franchisor; and
- advise on retail or commercial leases.
THE FRANCHISE AGREEMENT
Franchise agreements are the key element of the relationship between a franchisor and franchisee. The development and ongoing management of a franchise agreement requires an understanding of key areas such as corporate structure, termination and default, supply terms, financial payments, disclosure requirements, marketing, rebates, intellectual property, pricing, and dispute resolution procedures. The form of the franchise agreement must reflect the commercial intent and means of business rather than be structured purely on legal considerations. A franchise agreement by its nature has enormous variety from one to the next and there are different structures such as master franchise agreements, multi-unit franchise agreements, area development franchise agreements and joint venture agreements.